Search News and Events
Enter your zip code below to view news and events relevant to your location.
Although Rare, Cell Phone Chargers Can Start Fires

By: Michael Greeley
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Charging your cell phone next to your bed overnight may put you and your family at risk of a fire. Branson Fire Chief Ted Martin says cell phone chargers that remain plugged into a wall outlet still draws power and generates heat.  He says although it’s not a common problem, there are rare occasional fires that are caused by cell phone chargers. 

Martin offers some practical advice to reducing the risk of a fire:

Ted Martin

Martin says to keep chargers away from window drapes or furniture like beds and couches.  Make sure you have smoke detectors in the home and check their batteries often. 

According to the Missouri Association of Fire Chiefs, A cell phone was ruled as the cause of a home fire in Greene County in 2011. The phone was left on a bed. 


Juan Mercedes - 04/05/2013 8:56:32 AM
So can homemade electrical work in a Rockaway Beach trailer.